sust-mar: BYE-BYE BUSES?

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:36:57 -0800
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

We can say bye-bye to more than buses if current transportation trends
are not reversed. Ferry subsidies (Yarmouth, Digby, Caribou) end in the
year 2000, small airports like Yarmouth, Miramichi, St.Leonard, even
Charlottetown may not survive privatization, VIA Rail is in the process
of being "franchised", and unregulated vans in Nova Scotia and P.E.I. are
driving interurban buses into bankruptcy.
   On the freight side, railways (which are 4 to 6 times more energy and
pollution efficient than trucks) are being cut and downgraded in favour
of trucks on expensive, subsidized, expanding highways ($3-10 million per
mile to build in rural areas). Sales of Sport Utility Vehicles and Vans
apparently have grown to the point where they now exceed energy efficient
compact cars and average per vehicle fuel consumption is now growing
again.
   There are many committees of Environment, Natural Resources, and even
Finance departments following up the Kyoto accord, but very little
initiative by Transportation Departments at any government level. But
transport is the biggest single polluting sector, so environmentally we
must focus there.
   If you're interested in more information please e-mail John Pearce
<jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca> or write Transport 2000 Atlantic, Box 268,
Dartmouth, N.S. B2Y 3Y3. (a postal address for hard copy information and
an indication of your particular field of concern would be helpful).