mail

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:40:20 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Becky Little <Little@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Becky,

    Okay, I've looked at MAIL in OSX a little better and notice that it's
designed to be an 'integrated mail program' as opposed to the former mail
programs.  What this means is that, while the older programs dealt with,
both mail within your computer, and treated CCN and other POP, IMAP etc
servers as 'outside services', MAIL seems to treat outside servers as part
of MAIL as an all-in-one setup.

    With high speed internet, where you have a seamless connection 24-7,
it's easier to get into this line of thinking.  With a POP, IMAP server
through dial-up, it's seems like there is a step missing.  Under your
settings, where you select 'delete mail', this should definitely send the
necessary signal through to delete email off of CCN's server.  With OS9
(and older) systems, there were separate settings called, something like:
'delete mail from folder' and 'delete mail from server', treating both
settings as separate functions; the former, dealing with the downloaded
email on your computer, the latter, the email remaining on the server.

     I noticed the settings are slightly different for POP and IMAP but
the delete mail function is the same for both.  I don't know why it would
be different in Allstream.  To check to see if your email is definitely
being deleted from the server, use Terminal to telnet to your text
account (using your userid and mail passwords) and use PINE to check and,
if not done, delete your email.  At the terminal $ prompt, type: telnet
(hit return) and then at the 'telnet$" prompt, type: o chebucto.ca (o for
open connection to).  At the CCN prompts, type: userid and then password.
At the Lynx text screen, type: gmail which will open your email in PINE.

    Make sure that you fully shut down the MAIL program first, prior to
doing this as you can corrupt the data in the mail account, which Tech
will have to repair, if this happens.  Your account on the server should
only be accessed one way at a time, either POP, IMAP or PINE.  Let us know
if you need further help or clarification of any these instructons.

Tony @ CCN Help