mail

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:46:41 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Becky Little <Little@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Becky,

    No.  You have to state in your MAIL settings that you want the CCN
server to delete the online copy of your email after your download.  I'm
not that familiar with MAIL as I just only set up an OSX test system the
other day and haven't had that much time to go over all its options yet.
CCN will retain a copy of your downloaded email until you tell MAIL to
instruct CCN to get rid of it.  MAIL will then send the necessary
instruction through to CCN's server.

    This is for your protection as some people have accidentally deleted
their email before they ensure that they have downloaded it fully and
have moved it to a safe folder on their own computer.  Once CCN's copy has
been deleted, there is no getting it back so our internal setting is to
retain the email until your MAIL program tells CCN to delete it.  Every
ISP has their settings set to whatever works the best for them.

    We have found that, by the very nature of being a community net and
thus, a lot of our users are experiencing the internet and all of its
foibles and pitfalls for the first time - a training ground of sorts -
they will accidentally delete their mail too soon before they have
securely downloaded it to their own computer.  We like to err on the side
of caution and, for that reason, hold the email until we are explicitly
told to remove it by the users' home mail programs.

Tony @ CCN Help