RCS System of Files (fwd)

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:17:14 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Jeff Warnica <jeffw@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>, Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>,

[not sure who should be snipped from the distribution list to avoid
duplicate messages going to their INBOXes so I'll leave everyone there.]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jeff Warnica wrote:

> > If there is a significant group in the latter category, and I
> > haven't seen any statistics to verify that, and if there is not a
> > significant overlap between the groups, then perhaps simply turning
> > off the creation of RCS files for ftp users might work.
>
> There aren't any direct statistics, of course, but there are more PPP lines
> then text lines, and we know that there are non negative numbers of network
> users as well.
>
> The assumption that everyone is a text user that runs deep within both CCN
> wetware and software is no longer valid. We should be dealing with text
> access as a special case, not the otherway around. But I digress.
>
> > However, and it is a BIG HOWEVER, there would be a real problem if a
> > user does both ftp and text editing, because then the RCS files
> > could get out of sync with the working files.  Then there is a real
> > danger of losing the latest version, as the RCS system "checks out"
> > its stored version to be updated when editing in the IP directory.
> > Some of you will have noticed that this often happens if you try
> > renaming files in an RCS controlled directory.
> >

> This is a serious problem, and one that would need some thought.
[snip]

> It seems that the real problem here is combining FTP access with direct
> shell access. Let me throw out a idea here:
>
> All IPs become normal accounts. The group is responsible for keeping the
> shared account secure. Access to IP accounts is via FTP, or POP only. Since
> everyone access IP accounts via FTP only, even if just localy, its not a
> problem. Not the best solution, but a crazy idea that Ill throw out there...

Could I toss another (possibly dumb) idea or two into the stew?

Could another item be added to the lynx menu that would prompt the
user for a file to upload to elsewhere via FTP?  Then both text and
graphical users could update IP directories the same way and other
CCN users would also have the benefit of being able to use FTP to send
files to other sites where they have permission (for example someone
with another site on Angelfire or Geocities or someone who wants to
submit a freeware/shareware program to the Garbo or Simtel archives).

Or an alternate version -- amend the lynx 'u' (upload) command so that
it will not just:

   (a) prompt for a ZModem or Kermit upload when in a user's CCN directory

but will also:

   (b) check if a user is viewing a CCN directory with FTP that he/she has
       editing privileges in and, if so, upload all *tagged* files from
       the user's personal directory

and:

   (c) check to see if a user is pointing to an external FTP directory
       and, if so, prompt for a username and password and then upload
       any tagged files to that directory using that username/password

and (for write-only directories -- often used for shareware submission
so that files uploaded can be checked for viruses and trojans before
making them available for download):

   (d) if the user is pointing to an FTP hyperlink with a username
       and/or password, then allow 'u' to upload any tagged files to
       the directory in the hyperlink.

--
Norman De Forest            http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
af380@chebucto.ns.ca           [=||=]            (A Speech Friendly Site)
               -- Brandon Hume posting in hfx.general, September 21, 2000