RCS System of Files (fwd)

From: "Jeff Warnica" <jeffw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Edward Dyer" <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>, "Christopher Majka" <nextug@is.dal.ca>
Cc: "CCN Editors" <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, "CCN Technical Committee" <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>, "CCN Office" <office@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:13:41 -0300

> If there is a significant group in the latter category, and I
> haven't seen any statistics to verify that, and if there is not a
> significant overlap between the groups, then perhaps simply turning
> off the creation of RCS files for ftp users might work.

There aren't any direct statistics, of course, but there are more PPP lines
then text lines, and we know that there are non negative numbers of network
users as well.

The assumption that everyone is a text user that runs deep within both CCN
wetware and software is no longer valid. We should be dealing with text
access as a special case, not the otherway around. But I digress.

> However, and it is a BIG HOWEVER, there would be a real problem if a
> user does both ftp and text editing, because then the RCS files
> could get out of sync with the working files.  Then there is a real
> danger of losing the latest version, as the RCS system "checks out"
> its stored version to be updated when editing in the IP directory.
> Some of you will have noticed that this often happens if you try
> renaming files in an RCS controlled directory.

This is a serious problem, and one that would need some thought.

> > 2) Keeps a cryptic *.html,v file recording all editing changes. Handy in
> > theory but in the absense of a front-end to the sytem of marginal use;
>
> Not cryptic, it's a cumulative record of changes to the file,

Well, not human readable anyway.

> > I guess if there was a clear answer to the above people could
> > intelligently weigh the pros and cons and decide on a course of action
> > accordingly.
>
> Here is your opportunity to think outside the box, brainstorm, ...
> come up with a better way of doing things.  We don't need the
> technical solutions, just some ideas to explore at this stage.

What RCS proposes to do is valid. Infact, webdav is a set of extensions (and
proposed extensions) whose idea it is to do lots of what RCS on a single
system (or CVS network-ly) provides: http://www.webdav.org/other/faq.html#Q3
Right now it only realy provides HTTP upload plus locking. Versioning and
access control are yet to come. This will definitly be the Killer Prorocol
in the future (or now: windows 'Web Folders' use webdav..) Unfortunatly,
even though the apache module is a 1.x release, it couldnt be use to solve
this problem neatly, as it dosent take care of security. All of the files
that apache would need to modify would need to be globaly rw, and then a
security system would be needed to be built on top of it. But anyway..

It seems that the real problem here is combining FTP access with direct
shell access. Let me throw out a idea here:

All IPs become normal accounts. The group is responsible for keeping the
shared account secure. Access to IP accounts is via FTP, or POP only. Since
everyone access IP accounts via FTP only, even if just localy, its not a
problem. Not the best solution, but a crazy idea that Ill throw out there...