musquodoboit pioneers

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:03:46 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Johnathan Thibodeau <jthibo@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: carrolla@cnova.net, editors@chebucto.ca

Hi all,

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Johnathan Thibodeau wrote:

> A large volume of text? This sounds like fun to me :) While I don't claim
> to be a geneologist (I know I spelled that wrong), I do share an interest
> (I did a little research in the Archives on my family in Nova Scotia
> which dates back to 1654).
>
> While I don't know quite what my plans are for the summer, I would be
> willing to spend some vollunteer time on this. I have a scanner
> (although it's only 8 1/2" x 11") and some OCR software. If needs be,
> I'd be willing to do some typing too.

Sounds like the ball is rolling! I have a scanner and OCR software as
well. Depending on the quality of the type, its effectiveness ranges from
good to almost useless. I could test scan 4-5 pages and see if my system
could be of assistance. I don't have that much time but I might be able to
help.

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mark Rushton wrote:
>

> > CCN would be pleased to host the publication on-line, we would just
> > need to find
> > - someone to direct the project of turning it into a
> > publicly-accessible document
> > - either volunteers to do the technical work,
> > - or funding to hire someone to do it
>        Even better :)
>
> As a member of the tech-team, I could look after all the technical aspects.
>
> > The minimum effort involved would be to scan the 800 pages and
> > publish the site as one big sequential text file.  Easy, but a
> > tedious first step.
>
> Since I haven't seen the document, I can't really tell, but it might be
> possible to write a program to do some indexing. I heard of very similar
> things done before.

I've made indicies in MS Word, which does have a good capability for this.
It does take some considerable work since you have to manually tag each
word to be indexed. Such an index would, however, be useless when exported
to a web context. Probably the past solution would be to use the CCN
search script on a web-based document.

> > In any event, I'd be happy to continue a discussion with you around
> > the possibilities.
> >

> If you go forward with this, you can count me in too as a potential
> vollunteer.
>
> Johnathan Thibodeau

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957