musquodoboit pioneers

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:15:57 -0300 (ADT)
From: Johnathan Thibodeau <jthibo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: carrolla@cnova.net
cc: editors@chebucto.ca

A large volume of text? This sounds like fun to me :) While I don't claim
to be a geneologist (I know I spelled that wrong), I do share an interest
(I did a little research in the Archives on my family in Nova Scotia
which dates back to 1654).

While I don't know quite what my plans are for the summer, I would be
willing to spend some vollunteer time on this. I have a scanner (although
it's only 8 1/2" x 11") and some OCR software. If needs be, I'd be
willing to do some typing too.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mark Rushton wrote:

> CCN would be pleased to host the publication on-line, we would just
> need to find
> - someone to direct the project of turning it into a
> publicly-accessible document
> - either volunteers to do the technical work,
> - or funding to hire someone to do it
       Even better :)

As a member of the tech-team, I could look after all the technical aspects.

> The minimum effort involved would be to scan the 800 pages and
> publish the site as one big sequential text file.  Easy, but a
> tedious first step.

Since I haven't seen the document, I can't really tell, but it might be
possible to write a program to do some indexing. I heard of very similar
things done before.

> In any event, I'd be happy to continue a discussion with you around
> the possibilities.

If you go forward with this, you can count me in too as a potential
vollunteer.

Johnathan Thibodeau