FW: Chebucto: Editors list membership

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:25:25 -0300
From: bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca (Bob Adams)
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, sparker@chebucto.ns.ca

Mark, just thought I'd add...

Your ideas below are right on. But remember that anyone struggling with
something abstract like html and shtml is not going to get very much out
of abstract discussions. Like with abstract lectures, the result may
even be negative, actually resulting in less performance because wrong
concepts are being mistakenly learned. So if you have a meeting, make
sure there is a computer there. Quickly show the learner(s) what you are
talking about, and how easy it is to deal with. Andrew at the office is
a whiz at this. He can show someone clearly in a minute or two on his
computer what might take 30 minutes or more of discussion to reach the
same level of understanding.

Even better for a meeting, make the learner(s) perform on the computer
while someone expert talks them through. Everyone else present will
learn more because the material will be introduced at a learner's pace,
rather than at a presenter's idea of the pace needed to cover the
material in a given time.

Our on-line IP Training worked because it was designed to force people
to perform, so they could see for themselves what information they
needed and must go find. When they moved beyond IP Training, they knew
how to 'go find' whenever they encountered a new kind of problem.

I sometimes find that those in need of training also lack fundamental
skills. The Editor problem may be more one of needing to learn document
editing techniques like dragging chunks of code around, cutting and
pasting, searching and replacing using a text editor.

Other ideas are to simply get one of the already skilled editors to sit
down together at a computer, and talk the learner through the techniques
needed, or even to get one of the expert editors to do the difficult
technical conversion of that learner's work area.

Bob Adams
IP Training
464-9258