Out of Control!

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:35:45 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: CCN Office <office@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, "Douglas J. McCann" <aa935@chebucto.ns.ca>, "Leo J. Deveau" <ljdeveau@chebucto.ns.ca>,

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Andrew D. Wright wrote:

> 	I, Andrew Wright, was the person to edit the jump page. You can
> reach me at adw@chebucto.ns.ca. The g)o ip jump key was disabled because
> the information on the IP main site was in complete contradiction to the
> way that we are currently managing IPs.

It seems to me that the shoe is on entirely the wrong foot here. What was
a complete contradiction was a misguided attempt to jettison the IP
management system lock-stock-and-barrel and create IPs through the User
creation system rather than the IP system - in my view, a process
fundamentally technically, administratively and philosophically flawed. It
is my understanding that following meetings of Leo Deveau, David Potter &
Michael Smith to discuss legitimate changes needed to the IP Database and
IP registration and management system, work is underway to implement those
changes on a technical level. As such, in my view, until such revisions
are made, the materials located at:

   Linkname: Information Providers' Support Site

Can be considered as much a reflection of the 'current' state of affairs
as anything can be. At this stage I would certainly not counsel any IP to
proceed through a registration process that does not involve the IP
Database.

> This process has not been kept secret from anybody on Chebucto,
> including the IP committee.

I recall no such announcement to ccn-ip. Indeed, I only discovered the
change when I found myself unable to reach the page as a result of the
jump key having been severed.

> No one has at any point made any effort to update the IP page with
> current information.

This is hardly surprising given that chaotic and contradictory nature of
the recent set of events having to do with the nature of IP
Administration. The documentation of the IP process can only be re-written
when the technical and administrative details of that process have been
revised and settled.. When that is done appropriate pages can be rewritten
so that they are in accord with a revised process. For my part, I have
already discussed changes to the IPDB with David Potter & Michael Smith
and have volunteered to revise the IPDB and Group Editor documentation to
reflect the new structure and functionality.

> 	I did not redirect the g)o ip link as you have done because we now
> have two classifications for Neighbourhood Accounts, profit and
> non-profit, and your new shortcut goes only to the non-profit page. It was
> my thought that at some point there would be an updated IP web site, but I
> have seen no sign of any action on this or anyone coming forward to take
> responsibility for it.

Ditto: revisions to documentation cannot be undertaken while the technical
and administrative changes they describe are still in process.

Christopher Majka