Page Templates

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:47:08 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Technical Committee <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all,

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Andrew D. Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2000, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
> > 1) I think we really should replace the one instance of <center> (in
> > header.shtml) with <p align="center"> and delete the </center> (from
> > footer.shtml).
>
> 	The <center></center> tags are necessary to, well, center the 580
> pixel wide table that the entire page sits in. Otherwise the entire page
> will automatically left align which looks bizarre. The <p align="center">
> tag does not center the table.

I just tried it with this document and <p align="center"> aligns the table
perfectly.

to achieve alignment in this fashion as well.

> 	For centering headers within the document, Both <center> AND <p
> align="center"> (with of course a </center> tag after the header) is
> necessary in order for both graphic and Lynx browsers to center the thing.

In general <H* align="center" ...> does the trick in both Lynx and graphic
browsers. I employ this coding extensively in many documents and I've
never had any problems center aligning anything with either <p
align="center"> or <H* align="center" ...> and I can't think of an
instance where it has worked in a graphic browser and not Lynx or vice
versa.

> 	HTML standards are all well and good, but in real life we are
> aiming for this to look good in the two major browsers (Internet Explorer
> version 4 and later, and Netscape version 3-4 and later) plus Lynx. The
> page should also be readable in anything else that comes along that can
> competently parse HTML. This has been tested repeatedly until the present
> template came to its present form.

Indeed, but the point of deprecated tags is that support for them in
future browser versions is planned to be dropped entierly. Given that
there are already mechnisms that can do the job [ <p align="center"> and
<Table align="center"> ] that are HTML 4.0 compliant whereas <center> is
not and is almost guaranteed not to work correctly at some point in the
future, so why not do it right? Moreover it would seem that for something
as fundamental as this template we should set an example and be as correct
as possible.

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957