adw@chebucto.ns.ca

From: "Michael J. Cormier" <mcormier@nsaccess.ns.ca>
To: <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:04:21 -0300

>From editors-owner@chebucto.ns.ca Fri May 12 13:21:39 2000
Date:	Fri, 12 May 2000 13:21:24 -0300 (ADT)
Sender: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
From:	"Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To:	Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
cc:	CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, Michael Smith
<michael@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Technical Committee <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: Page Templates
chebucto.ns.ca editors-mml"

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Christopher Majka wrote:

> 1) I think we really should replace the one instance of <center> (in
> header.shtml) with <p align="center"> and delete the </center> (from
> footer.shtml).

	The <center></center> tags are necessary to, well, center the 580
pixel wide table that the entire page sits in. Otherwise the entire page
will automatically left align which looks bizarre. The <p align="center">
tag does not center the table.

	For centering headers within the document, Both <center> AND <p
align="center"> (with of course a </center> tag after the header) is
necessary in order for both graphic and Lynx browsers to center the thing.

	HTML standards are all well and good, but in real life we are
aiming for this to look good in the two major browsers (Internet Explorer
version 4 and later, and Netscape version 3-4 and later) plus Lynx. The
page should also be readable in anything else that comes along that can
competently parse HTML. This has been tested repeatedly until the present
template came to its present form.