The IPDB issue

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:18:05 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Office <office@chebucto.ns.ca>, ljdeveau@chebucto.ns.ca, David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>

Hi Mark!

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Mark Ronald Rushton wrote:

> (a) the IPDB does not seem to provide me with any information as to when
> a given IP last paid up.  I was hoping to have this info to assist me when
> making contact with the organization to inquire whether their site is
> still seen as active, whether the editor listed is still the editor for
> the site, and whether the organization even knew it had a website on
> Chebucto ;-)

Bear this in mind: the IPDB was designed at a time when there were no fees
of any kind, ever, for any IP services. Now we have a stratified fee
structure in place. Clearly it would be useful for the IPDB to be able to
access such information (through appropriate gateways) in the same way
that he IPDB allows access to the group editor, the user database, the
notes database, etc.

> (b) I further discovered that somehow I now have access to the
> Administration database, which previously was off-limits to me; I have
> password access to IPDB as usual.  Is this some kind of extra bonus now
> that I'm a board member?

Check with David Murdoch on different levels of HTTP authorized access. I
beleive that:

   Linkname: CSuite Information Provider Administration

Has always been accessible to you (as I think it is accessible to all the
editors). There is also an HTTP area for the Board which you should
(presumably) now be able to access.

> (c) First and last call to anyone who has an issue with my completely
> trashing the current organizational structure within the Community Support
> area.  Some major rearranging is needed, so I'll be clearing house ASAP.

I'd say go for it. There is nothing sacrosanct about the page structure
there: it's just the way it happened to be done by Wayne Groshko
(Community Support editor at the time).

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957