Template Update: CommSupport Done.

Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:43:56 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca, ljdeveau@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Mark Ronald Rushton wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Michael:  Community Support directory is now ready to be switched over.
> All new files have extension  .shtml and interlinking has been checked.
>
> Everyone:  At your leisure, please examine the pages to ensure that I have
> correctly transferred the info (eg. titles, etc.).
>
> Note:  Community Support index links to the Religion section.  I will need
> to change one link on the CommunitySupport.shtml page once the Religion
> area has been modified with the  .shtml  files.  Please let me know when
> that's done.

Hi Mark,

I'm planning on getting started on the Religion Page on Friday
night, I'll let you know when it's done.  But as Michael reported,
the system has been configured, as I understand it, to be flexible
about which extensions are used - that is, if x.shtml exists it will
be used whether the user or link asked for http://.../x.shtml or
http://.../x.html Of course that breaks for file://localhost until
symlinks are put in place.

As far as the use of Icons or icons is concerned, it matters little
- the extra time is only the time it takes for the cpu to search out
the second reference in the directory buffer, which will normally be
in memory anyway, so should only take a few microseconds.

On the other hand, your question about the use of the slash points
out a potential problem.  In general /Icons/ and Icons/ would not
point to the same location.  [You will remember all the trouble we
have always had to go through to make links workable through both
Lynx using file://localhost reference and all browsers using
http://.    Now that SSI has become much more efficient than it was
5 years ago, and our server is much faster, we dare to make it our
standard usage to reference all files through http://]

To be more specific, Icons/ always refers to a folder/directory
named "Icons" that is located within the directory of the current
page (or relative to the A base location if used)  On CCN this was
always the preferred usage because all browsers could use it. On the
other hand, /Icons/ refers to two places, depending on how it is
referenced.  If using http:// on chebucto, then /Icons/ refers to
the Icons directory in the info root, which is the base directory
for the http server.  On the other hand, if using file://localhost
reference i.e. Lynx local files, then /Info/ would be a directory at
the "root" or top level of the file system.

Remember also that the references within a page will inherit the
mode of reference of the page, so if you access the page using
http://, then all the contents within the page that are not fully
specified will use http to request the file.  Conversely, if you
accessed the page using file://localhost, then partial references
would also try to use file://localhost to request the file.  For
display purposes, however, dead links to the Icons in Lynx using
file://localhost are probably not very serious.

This gets further complicated when you move to your own system,
because you would then be using implicit (or possibly explicit)
file://localhost for references to your own hard drive.  But on
Macintosh file systems, the path is defined beginning from the drive
name, so /Info/myicon.gif would represent a file "Myicon.gif"
located on the disk called "Info".  [Perhaps a disk image, a floppy,
or a Ramdrive?] (Mac and Windows are not case sensitive for these
purposes.)  Windows (and DOS) machines have a default drive so they
may behave somewhat more like the file://localhost behaviour on the
server, i.e. in Lynx.

[You can set up an http server on your machine, but should not have
it running while connected to the net, unless you take the trouble
to set it up securely.  Otherwise someone might be browsing your
files :-(  ]

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca