VDN hit tracking

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:14:54 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Mark!

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Mark Ronald Rushton wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Christopher Majka wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, that won't track hits to the rmjfitrehab.com site. We do
> > > keep virtual hosts' access logs separate, so eventually we'll have a way
> > > of getting them to virtual host owners.
> >
> > Hmm ... I see. So if the HTTP request is to www.rmjfitrehab.com then our
> > URL stats counter won't log it for /csuite/info/Business/RMJ even if it is
> > actually those files that are accessed - is that right?
> >
> > It would be good in the future to have a mechanism to make such
> > information available to VDN administrators.
> >

> "Good" ?!  Understatement, Christopher old boy.  Are you guys telling me
> that my site at  www.nscuba..org   cannot register hits using that CGI?

So it would appear. It seems from what Michael is saying that the hits to
VDNs are logged seperatly.

> May I suggest this become an item for the techs fairly high on the "to do"
> list, as many of us IPs use that routine (and the hit count) to justify
> the continued expenditure of our group on a VDN (and even just the effort
> of a website!).

I agree. Feedback on useage and visibility is really important for most
webmasters and the administrations of many organizations. They need to
feel satisfied that their site on our server is getting the exposure it
deserves, and if not then this can motivate them to take steps to ensure
that it does.

> I feel ... cheated, somehow.  Wish someone had TOLD ME THAT when we were
> switching over.

I never really crossed my mind that it wouldn't (not being familiar with
the technical basis of how such statistics are logged).

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957