More CCN Changes (Editors take note ;-> )

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:17:47 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all@

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Edward Dyer wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
> > 5) When all of the above has taken place, then you select the *Create IP*
> > button in the IPDB and the IP is created (directory, edit group &
> > majordomo list(s).
>
> I believe (would each of you please check this and reply to aa146?)
> that this button exists only on the editor-in-chief's access to the
> IPdb. If that is in fact the case, then a small modification is
> needed to the IPdb scripts to accomplish the proposed devolution.

I'm sure this is not so. I just had Sheilagh Hunt check from her access
and the Create Information Provider is there via her access. I recall
creating IPs myself before I became Editor-in-Chief.

> > 1) When sites leave the CCN, they should be so indicated in the IPDB.
>
> Note: the IPdb entry should not be deleted at this stage, until
> final archiving and confirmation have occurred.  Otherwise the
> remaining material gets orphaned.  Assuming an IP leaves us on good
> terms, it is in our interest to leave a forwarding page in place for
> some time.  (We don't want to have a reputation of a site full of
> dead links :)

We've always left forwarding pages in place in perpetuity (there's really
no reason not to that I can think of). As far as IPDB entries, I've
(recently) tended to remove them after a few months simply to expedite
using the IPDB as a tool for working with existing IPs. If the IPDB ever
moves to being a 'real database' (perhaps with relational capabilities)
and not simply a flat file structure where we could more meaningfully
search it along various lines, then it would make sense to simply leave
the entries for archival purposes.

> We may also want to forward their IP private list (ml-priv) to the
> organization for a short time, although someone on CCN (presumeably
> the editor for the section) should keep tabs on it, in case
> something is broken or the list goes wild.

On the face of it this is not a bad idea, however, the devil lives in the
qualifiers of "...a short time ... someone on the CCN ... should keep tabs
on it ..." ;-> We don't really have the administrative mechanisms to do
this. People hvae enough trouble finding the time and/or remembering to do
the things they really need to. It's hard to remember what IPs did what
six months ago, let alone go back to old lists, find some way of checking
is there is still traffic on them and/or if everything is running
correctly, etc. Until such time as there is a mechansim to do this I
recommend deleating dead ml-priv lists ASAP.

> We should also be able, rather than involving David, to add
> ourselves temporarily to the edit group for any IP under our
> jurisdiction.  If this doesn't work, at least some of us are
> supposed to be able to do it.  Contact me (aa146) as Tech - IP
> Liaison if you need help with this.

As far as I know, only members of ccn-ipadm (David Trueman, Blaine,
 , you and I) can do this. I don't think there is any ready
solution to this barring a restructuing of CCN Edit groups.

> > 3) If new editors are to be added to a IP, I'd remind you that this is the
> > call of the IPE1 (the first editor listed in the Edit group list) so if
> > the person making the request is anyone other than this, you need to
> > contact the IPE1 and ask them. Otherwise, no dice.
>
> I might remind you of clause 8 of the IP agreement which requires
> such a request be in writing, from the organization (not the IPE1).
> Paragraph 3) above describes the policy we have been using in
> practice.  Perhaps the agreement needs to be updated?

Ah ... razor-sharp eyes Mr. Dyer! Good point. However, the phrase 'in
writing' could as well apply to writing within an EMail message. There is
nothing that says that the writing needs to be in hardcopy on paper, eh
what? In this case what we have been doing in practice does accord with
the IP Agreement, however, this clause could (in my view) be re-written to
be a little 'looser'.

> There is a considerable amount of documentation on the operation of
> mailing lists accessible from the IP pages (go ip)

Yes: I frankly wish we could get more people to pay attention to the
materials in:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/MailList/MjDOwner.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/Training/majordomo.users.html

In my experience, the great majority of CCN IPE's knowledge of majordomo
is still very fragmentary.

> > This is the basic structure of regular CCN Editor Administrative
> > responsibilities viz-a-viz IPs. Then, of course, there are exceptional
> > and/or unusual circumstance. ;-> That's what the Editor-in-Chief is around
> > to deal with. ;->
>
> Well said!

Thanks! You didn't think I was going to let myself entierly off the hook,
did you? ;->

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom