More CCN Changes (Editors take note ;-> )

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:46:44 -0400 (AST)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@IS.Dal.Ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:

> 4) When the Office receives the IP Agreement it indicates this in the IPDB
> (*see below for more on this).

This is done by a form/script in the office software set.
Details from the IP application form as submitted are recorded on
the form, and then those are added to the IPdb by the script.

> 5) When all of the above has taken place, then you select the *Create IP*
> button in the IPDB and the IP is created (directory, edit group &
> majordomo list(s).

I believe (would each of you please check this and reply to aa146?)
that this button exists only on the editor-in-chief's access to the
IPdb. If that is in fact the case, then a small modification is
needed to the IPdb scripts to accomplish the proposed devolution.

> 6) You should remind applicants that when their site materials are in
> place they should let you know so that you can add a link to their sites
> from your CCN pages.
>
> *Note: for the time being, in the absence of a CCN Office Manager, David
> Murdoch of CCN Operations should be contacted with respect to marking an
> IP Agreement as being 'received' by the Office. This is something that the
> CCN Editors cannot do and an IP cannot be created without this being so
> indicated.

> Periodically changes need to be made to entries in the IPDB:
>
> 1) When sites leave the CCN, they should be so indicated in the IPDB.

Note: the IPdb entry should not be deleted at this stage, until
final archiving and confirmation have occurred.  Otherwise the
remaining material gets orphaned.  Assuming an IP leaves us on good
terms, it is in our interest to leave a forwarding page in place for
some time.  (We don't want to have a reputation of a site full of
dead links :)

We may also want to forward their IP private list (ml-priv) to the
organization for a short time, although someone on CCN (presumeably
the editor for the section) should keep tabs on it, in case
something is broken or the list goes wild. Other than list problems,
I would not expect us to handle any mail sent to that address.

> 2) The IP Editors should (but they don't always) clear out their old files
> and change their old home page to a re-direct page (or a closed-down page,
> or whatever). If they haven't don't this you need to do it. The most
> expeditious way is to send a message to David Murdoch at Operations to
> change the directory tree of the IP over to fn-edit (the editors' edit
> group) and after this has been done, go and make the appropriate changes.
> The old edit group and majordomo lists should be removed, something that
> you need to tell Operations to do.

We should also be able, rather than involving David, to add
ourselves temporarily to the edit group for any IP under our
jurisdiction.  If this doesn't work, at least some of us are
supposed to be able to do it.  Contact me (aa146) as Tech - IP
Liaison if you need help with this.

> 3) If new editors are to be added to a IP, I'd remind you that this is the
> call of the IPE1 (the first editor listed in the Edit group list) so if
> the person making the request is anyone other than this, you need to
> contact the IPE1 and ask them. Otherwise, no dice.

I might remind you of clause 8 of the IP agreement which requires
such a request be in writing, from the organization (not the IPE1).
Paragraph 3) above describes the policy we have been using in
practice.  Perhaps the agreement needs to be updated?

> 4) When new editors are added to a site they also need to be added to the
> corresponding ml-priv list. There is no way to do this automatically and
> most IPE1 don't know what their majordomo admin passwords are. If they do,
> they should be encouraged to make the change via the syntax of:
>
> approve password subscribe list user  or  approve password unsubscribe
> list user
>
> If you don't know what the default majordomo admin password syntax is, let
> me know and I'll tell you.
>
> In any event, the password is sometimes not that and often the best way to
> make a change to a list's membership is to contact David Potter of
> Mailing-List administration. This is the *only* way to change a list's
> ownership or characteristics (i.e. to make it a restricted-post list,
> archived, open vs. closed, private vs public, etc.).

There is a considerable amount of documentation on the operation of
mailing lists accessible from the IP pages (go ip)

> This is the basic structure of regular CCN Editor Administrative
> responsibilities viz-a-viz IPs. Then, of course, there are exceptional
> and/or unusual circumstance. ;-> That's what the Editor-in-Chief is around
> to deal with. ;->

Well said!

> In any event, please brush up on all of the above, and the materials in
> the CCN Editors' Site at:
>
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Policy/IP/Editors/index.html
>
> And feel free to ask questions, request clarifications, sort out problems
> with HTTP authorized access, etc. during the next three weeks prior to the
> AGM. Post-AGM I'll be directing appropriate requests to you! :->
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
> Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>

Ed