Redhat 5.2 errors in compile

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:36:24 -0400
From: "hrdware" <hrdware@sprint.ca>
To: csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca

greetings Michael,

>#  cd /csuite/src/etc/ftpd
>#  make clean
>#  make install-csuite

Like I mentionned in my previous message, ftpd seemed to
compile once I changed a flag in the build file concerning the
target system. lnx in my case.

I copied the new ftpd binary over and restarted the machine,
hoping this time the ftp services would be present. But they
weren't.

I installed csuite 3 times on this machine. The first time
everything worked fine. The ftpd daemon was working fine
and so was everything else apparently.

The problem is the password file wasn't shadowed. So
I converted the pw file. I then realised ftp connections to
the machine were being refused.

After closer inspection I realised the ftpd wasn't even in the
process list. So I figured it just wasn't able to handle the
shadowed password file.

So I deleted the /csuite dir (root install dir) and proceeded
with a new compile. I got a bunch of weird errors and realised
there must be something in the src dir that wasn't wiped from
the previous install. So i deleted both my entire src dir from
which I compiled and the /csuite directory. I then copied
over the src once more to that machine and started over.

I figured whatever it was would be fixed once csuite detected
that a shadowed password file was present and that ftpd would
be fixed. But it wasn't.

Now I tried to recompile ftpd manually and it still doesn't work.
Here are the steps I followed in my installation.

step 1- go into 1.0 source dir,
step 2- gunzip ../cs-rh50-1.tar.gz
step 3- tar -xvf ../cs-rh50-1.tar
step 4- from fixes cp getdate* , src-bin* , src-lib*, vars to 1.0 dir
step 5- sh csbuild
step 6- is asks "do you use redhat v5.x? (y/n)?" answer yes
step 7- select preferred language
etc.. till end.

The only things I didn't do once more, were configuring the
various files such as inetd.conf etc.. that I had to modify manually.
All paths were kept identical.

When I use my old ftp line in identd.conf and restart, it works fine.
I would however like to make sure I am using what would be best for
the csuite setup, therefore I'd really like to get the included version
running properly.

Andy