Installation problems

From: bill <bill@gsc.sk.ca>
To: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:34:17 -0600 (CST)

John Nemeth writes:
> On Apr 11,  6:27am, Bill Brown wrote:
> }
> } I am in the process of installing csuite 1.0 on RedHat 6.2.  The
>
>      Due to the lack of backwards compatibility in Linux, CSuite 1.0
> will not run on RedHat 6.2.  You will have many problems trying to do
> this.  Due to lack of resources, we can only support a given version of
> CSuite on the OS'es for which it was built.

I appreciate knowing this.

Does this not cause concern?  Specifically, not updating RedHat
is known as a concern due to the number and publically announced
vulnerabilities and exploits in certain packages.

If sites running csuite are forced to remain static at a particular
o/s version, that would seem to make them much more susseptable(sp?)
to crack attempts.

Has this been addressed by anyone?  Is it an issue?

> } I found a csuite 1.1 .iso image on the web site, and I downloaded
> } it, but could do nothing with it.  couldn't mount it, couldn't burn it
> } to a cdrom, nothing.
>
>      The image should be burnable onto a CD-R.  Alternatively, you
> could mount it using a loopback mount.  However, it isn't a final
> release.  There have been a couple of security fixes applied since it
> was created (wu-ftpd and qpopper), documentation updates, and more work
> done on the upgrade scripts.

Well, I right mouse clicked from netscape on my WinNT machine,
"save-as"ed the file into my viewable linux tree (samba) and
it will not mount no matter what I try.  I cam make iso file-
systems using mkisofs and mount them till the cows come home,
but I can't mount or burn that one.  All I get are non-viewable
directories but it looks like it's there (if I burn it) and
"bad fs-type, bad or corrupt superblock on filesystem" if I try
to mount it [using a loopback mount.]

:-)

Maybe I will spend some more time trying to get some of the
utils compiled on 6.2  If I can get this, I think it might be
helpful to others.

Bill