web based email

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:50:13 -0400 (AST)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Andrea Neville <aneville@swgc.mun.ca>
Cc: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Andrea Neville wrote:

> 	Is anyone sucesfully using a web based product to manage csuite email. I
> would be very interested in your experiences and recommendations. While it
> will not eliminate the telnet/pine interface, it would proabably need to
> serve as the primary interface for most users. Although I hate to say it, as
> close to hotmail as possible would be the ideal.

We use IMP (http://www.horde.org/) for webmail. Free, nice interface,
works with IMAP (and POP3, but POP3 sucks ;)

The downside is that you'll have to compile & install Apache 1.3.x+PHP
3.0.12 (3.0.14 is buggy)+some database if you want addressbook
functionality. This is not terribly hard if you follow the docs, but there
are some options you'll need to include in order for CSuite stuff to work.
I can give you some pointers/notes if you're interested.

You can probably skip the recompilation hassle if you just host the
webmail app on a different server from your CSuite mail server.