web based email

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:47:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Ian White <iwhite@victoria.tc.ca>
To: Andrea Neville <aneville@swgc.mun.ca>
cc: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Andrea Neville wrote:

> 	Is anyone sucesfully using a web based product to manage csuite
> email. I would be very interested in your experiences and
> recommendations. While it will not eliminate the telnet/pine interface,
> it would proabably need to serve as the primary interface for most
> users. Although I hate to say it, as close to hotmail as possible would
> be the ideal.

We (BCCNA) are running a webmail program on our Provincial Server
(http://hp.bccna.bc.ca/) for community networks in BC that have POP
servers.

The program we are using is CWMail from NetWin
(http://www.netwinsite.com). It is a commercial product, but it is also
the most powerful webmail that we were able to find that works with
multiple POP servers. Neither we or the sites we provide services to use
IMAP, so that ruled out a number of webmail clients.

It has a look and feel similar to hotmail, although it is fully
customizable through the use of templates.

Ian

Ian White
BC Community Networks Association (BCCNA)
email: iwhite@victoria.tc.ca