Nonprofit Online News through 7/24/00

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:03:10 -0800
To: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca
From: ljdeveau@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: ccn-comm@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, kcrinean@novaknowledge.ns.ca

Hi everyone,

Re. below, this comes from the 'Nonprofit Online News' listserve that I'm
on. Thought it might interest some of you. If you're interested, it maybe
something to subscribe to - see bottom of message for more info on that :)

Cheers,
Leo
---------
>To:     non@gilbert.org (Subscribers of non)
>From:   "Nonprofit Online News" <news@gilbert.org>
>Subject: Nonprofit Online News through 7/24/00
>
>Nonprofit Online News
>
><http://www.gilbert.org/news>
>
>For the convenience of our subscribers, we have placed information
>about Nonprofit Online News, such as how to submit news tips, how to
>subscribe or unsubscribe, or where to direct questions, at the bottom
>of this message.
>
>Friday, July 21, 2000
>
>Social Ecology, in cooperation with nonprofit and for profit
>partners, first developed the Lightweight Donation Data Exchange
>(LDDX) protocol this Spring. It reached version 1.0 in April. The
>current version is 1.02. The purpose of the protocol is the exchange
>of donation information. In several settings over the last three
>months (including the ASP-OSS meeting in Ann Arbor) I expressed my
>desire to hand this over to the nonprofit community and interested
>parties. Although there is not yet a nonprofit organizaion offering
>to facilitate standards setting in general, this release of LDDX is
>intended to hand over the protocol to the community most affected by
>it.
>
><http://www.socialecology.com/protocols/lddx/>
>
>For discussion of LDDX and other issues related to itneroperability
>standards in the nonprofit world, we recently launched a discussion
>site called the Nonprofit internet Standards Project.
>
><http://standards.gilbert.org>
>

>Thursday, July 20, 2000
>
>The Roberts Enterprise Development Fund offers a collection of
>writings about social purpose enterprises , which (despite being
>freely downloadable) are delightfully called their "boxed set".
>
><http://www.redf.org/publication/pub_theboxset.html>
>
>In Svenskarna Kommer ("The Swedes are Coming"), Martin Edlund of The
>New Republic explores the best uses of the Internet in politics. Oh,
>I'm originally Swedish, by the way.
>
><http://www.thenewrepublic.com/online/edlund070700.html>
>
>The Development Director's letter looks at  web based fundraising applications.
>
><http://www.cdpublications.com/news/ddl1.htm>
>

>Monday, July 17, 2000
>
>How many of you find yourselves talking like this? The latest Planet
>501c3 does meeting-speak.
>
><http://www.compasspoint.org/publications/planet/index.html>
>
>Quality filters of online news are becoming increasingly important.
>HandsNet's WebClipper has continued to improve its service, and I
>recommend the free trial. Since I don't run a human service agency, I
>can only offer an outside perspective. Obviously, I'm very interested
>in news digests and web logs, so if you have experience with
>WebClipper and other such services, please share your experience with
>me at news@gilbert.org.
>
><http://www.webclipper.org/register1126/register.htm>
>

>Thursday, July 13, 2000
>
>Graham Francis has launched a site with advice about online
> [...]

Leo J. Deveau,
Executive Director
Chebucto Community Net,
Halifax, N.S.
Canada
"Its a rare fish that knows the sea it swims in."
-Alberto Manguel in 'The History of Reading.'