Death of RCS

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:15:50 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Bob  Adams wrote:

> However, I once had a trainee who built an entire site (NS Snipe I think) at the
> Halifax library using a CCN text terminal in 30-minute bookings. They had disk
> drives in them, but the drives had been disengaged, the reason given being
> protection of the file system. So I imagine that IP had occasion to use the
> tilde files. That was early 1996. I have never heard of any others.

I think the tilde files served as a backup in case a copy failed
somewhere. I've added a line to remove them. They're not so much created
as they are the target of a rename,

        cat "$file" >>tmp$$ &&
          mv -f "$file" "$file~" &&
            cp tmp$$ "$file" &&
              rm -f tmp$$ "$file~"

The edited file gets appended to tmp$$ which holds the <link rev...> and
<!-- $RCSfile$...--> lines. The old file is moved to file~, the new file
is copied in and the temporary files are removed.