Death of RCS

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:57:56 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>, Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Michael Smith wrote:

> I think the tilde files served as a backup in case a copy failed
> somewhere. I've added a line to remove them. They're not so much created
> as they are the target of a rename,
>
>         cat "$file" >>tmp$$ &&
>           mv -f "$file" "$file~" &&
>             cp tmp$$ "$file" &&
>               rm -f tmp$$ "$file~"
>
> The edited file gets appended to tmp$$ which holds the <link rev...> and
> <!-- $RCSfile$...--> lines. The old file is moved to file~, the new file
> is copied in and the temporary files are removed.

Thanks Michael!

I assume that the description above is not actual code, but just the
pseudocode for what is being done...  Somehow there is (or used to
be, and should still be) provision _NOT_ to replace the link rev if
it already exists in the document [header..?], and to _ALWAYS_
replace the RCSfile data with current data.

If any changes are being made it would be nice to make sure those
parts were both placed inside the <HEAD> section of the file if
such a section exists, so as to prevent HTML lint tools from
alarming, as they do now :-(  But I suppose that's a bigger job!

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca