Death of RCS

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:34:34 -0300
From: bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca (Bob Adams)
To: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Edward Dyer wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:
> >
> > > Also, I'm ashamed to say I can't recall what the purpose of the *.html~
> > > files is. They seem to linger for inordinate periods of time these days.
> >
> > Yes, they're backups created the first time a file is initiated into RCS,
> > but I don't think any of the cronjobs deletes them.
>
> I believe they are created every time a file is edited online or
> reinstalled in an IP site.  At least that is the way they used to
> be.  I'm not sure if they are created at the start of the edit or
> end of it, but they were the previous version of the file in the
> case of editing.
>
> I suspect you may be right that there is no current job to delete
> them.  There used to be one, it ran about every 48 hours as I
> recall,  but I suspect it didn't make the transition from
> previous-generation-phoenix to halifax.  We have been getting
> complaints about three or four times a year.
>
> Having said that, it would seem a trivial script to implement (find
> all ~ files, if older than oldest of owner's current sessions then
> delete)

Ed,

A script that runs a day later to delete the tildes is of no value unless you
are the kind who FTPs files every two weeks.

I may FTP 10, 20, 30 a day to one directory, FTPing several times on busy days.
It makes FTP very weak to use as a file managemnt tool. The problem is that with
them you cannot easily glance directly back-and-forth between the files already
in the IP directory, and those waiting on my computer to be uploaded. If the
file is one that was last uploaded a few hours ago, it is pushed down off the
current IP files screen, because there may be 15 or 20 other useless tilde files
in between. They simply take up lines of screen space. It is especially
non-useful when at the end of a session I usually try to visually compare the
two lists to be sure the save times are both identical.

I know there are work-arounds that would reduce the problem somewhat but they
still take time etc., as well. I think we should simply dispense with the
tildes. We don't need a change to make them disappear, We need a change that
will cause them not to be created in the first place.
There must be a little subroutine somewhere that causes them to be created, that
could easily be eliminated altogether.

Need for tilde files has long ago disappeared. They serve the same as a backup
file on your computer. They were once necessary in the era when many CCN (and
Lynx) users operated from universities and government offices using dumb
terminals. They had no disk drive of any kind, so for editing, the system was
made to make a duplicate backup copy. If you blotted out or messed up the file,
you could exit without saving, and load up the tilde version to resume editing
where you were before. I am around Saint Mary's and Dal quite often and have not
seen a dumb terminal in years. You still see the occasional one, all dusty,
sitting unsold on the floor at a surplus store. I have asked around CCN for
years and could find no-one who ever uses the tilde files.

However, I once had a trainee who built an entire site (NS Snipe I think) at the
Halifax library using a CCN text terminal in 30-minute bookings. They had disk
drives in them, but the drives had been disengaged, the reason given being
protection of the file system. So I imagine that IP had occasion to use the
tilde files. That was early 1996. I have never heard of any others.

Bob Adams
464-9258