Death of RCS

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:25:56 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
> > Also, I'm ashamed to say I can't recall what the purpose of the *.html~
> > files is. They seem to linger for inordinate periods of time these days.
>
> Yes, they're backups created the first time a file is initiated into RCS,
> but I don't think any of the cronjobs deletes them.

I believe they are created every time a file is edited online or
reinstalled in an IP site.  At least that is the way they used to
be.  I'm not sure if they are created at the start of the edit or
end of it, but they were the previous version of the file in the
case of editing.

I suspect you may be right that there is no current job to delete
them.  There used to be one, it ran about every 48 hours as I
recall,  but I suspect it didn't make the transition from
previous-generation-phoenix to halifax.  We have been getting
complaints about three or four times a year.

Having said that, it would seem a trivial script to implement (find
all ~ files, if older than oldest of owner's current sessions then
delete)

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca