IPs/Membership/etc.

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:15:52 -0300 (ADT)
From: George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Bob  Adams wrote:
>
> > Michael Smith wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Rather than tampering with RCS (perhaps making it break) would it not be
> > possible to simply create a non-RCS directory for IPs who will:
> > o strictly use an FTP client for uploading files
> > o always maintain the master files on their own computer(s)
> > o never do any on-line editing.
>
> > I suspect this would cover almost all recent IPs.

Many IP's have the ongoing need to make small changes (e.g.,
updating a link) for which ftp takes time and effort.  The
ftp approach breaks down when there is more than one person
changing files.  While mulitiple editors can split responsiblities,
and perhaps maintain offline directories on a couple machines,
what happens when one editor is on vacation and a file needs
updateing?

The ftp approach works well for someone starting out using a
PC-based site builders, but imposes limitations that may eventually
become burdensome.  One distinguishing feature of CCN is that it
supports sites that would be difficult to manage using only
ftp.  The CCN training should make IP's aware that they can
quickly edit files via a telnet session and that RCS will log
the changes.

There are networked version control systems which I expect will
eventually be supported by site builder clients.

> We can stick a couple of checks into IP-FTP and the online editing
> scripts...
>
> If a file .norcs exists in the same directory as the file being edited,
> never use RCS.

Never say never.  There would need to a simple mechanism to migrate
to RCS.

> If a subdirectory RCS already exists, use RCS.
>
> Don't use RCS by default, unless a file .yesrcs exists in the directory.
> So if a new IP wants RCS, we touch .yesrcs, then IP-FTP or online editing
> creates the RCS subdirectory before the first edit takes place and removes
> .yesrcs.
>
> Michael

An approach that sets up RCS on-demand makes sense.  When this happens,
the system could send them a pointer to the relevant help information.
Rather than touch .yesrcs, why not enable RCS by checking in the current
files, thus creating the RCS directory and populating it with the current
files?

--
George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> Halifax, Nova Scotia