IPs/Membership/etc.

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:39:51 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, George White wrote:

> Many IP's have the ongoing need to make small changes (e.g.,
> updating a link) for which ftp takes time and effort.  The
> ftp approach breaks down when there is more than one person
> changing files.  While mulitiple editors can split responsiblities,
> and perhaps maintain offline directories on a couple machines,
> what happens when one editor is on vacation and a file needs
> updateing?

I'm not sure I understand - both online and FTP editing will work fine
with multiple editors with or without RCS.

> The CCN training should make IP's aware that they can quickly edit
> files via a telnet session and that RCS will log the changes.

But there's no interface for people outside techteam to view those logs. :)

> There are networked version control systems which I expect will
> eventually be supported by site builder clients.

Yes, WebDAV is starting to get support from MS and Netscape, so we'll
probably try to support it when it picks up more steam.

> > If a file .norcs exists in the same directory as the file being edited,
> > never use RCS.
>
> Never say never.  There would need to a simple mechanism to migrate
> to RCS.

"Never" in this case means "until the .norcs file is removed".

> Rather than touch .yesrcs, why not enable RCS by checking in the current
> files, thus creating the RCS directory and populating it with the current
> files?

Yes, that's a better alternative than .yesrcs, since the files would all
have to be checked in anyway.