IPs/Membership/etc.

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:32:22 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Bob  Adams wrote:

> Michael Smith wrote:

> > This raises the question of getting rid of RCS. For FTP-only accounts, it
> > causes trouble. IPEs download everything at once to their home machine,
> > including RCS directories, and then upload everything back, so we end up
> > with directories like
> > /csuite/info/blah/blah/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/index.html,v,v,v,v,v,v and
> > missing/broken files.
> >
> > It's overkill for the task we want it to accomplish (locking).

[snip]

> Rather than tampering with RCS (perhaps making it break) would it not be
> possible to simply create a non-RCS directory for IPs who will:
> o strictly use an FTP client for uploading files
> o always maintain the master files on their own computer(s)
> o never do any on-line editing.

> I suspect this would cover almost all recent IPs.

We can stick a couple of checks into IP-FTP and the online editing
scripts...

If a file .norcs exists in the same directory as the file being edited,
never use RCS.

If a subdirectory RCS already exists, use RCS.

Don't use RCS by default, unless a file .yesrcs exists in the directory.
So if a new IP wants RCS, we touch .yesrcs, then IP-FTP or online editing
creates the RCS subdirectory before the first edit takes place and removes
.yesrcs.

Michael