IPs/Membership/etc.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:26:44 -0300
From: bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca (Bob Adams)
To: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
CC: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Michael Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Mark Rushton wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in following something which (I think Michael?) suggested
> > earlier; that there could easily be a separation of Chebucto Plus!
> > membership and regular membership.  Does this not open the technical door
> > for IP-only memberships (i.e. not tied to a CCN individual membership),
> > where dialup access, FTP-site maintenance and mailing list features can be
> > tied to an institutional membership concept?
>
> We can create an IP ftp-only account next to regular user accounts in an
> IP group. I argued against it at one point, I don't remember why, maybe
> I'll remember sometime soon ;)
>
> This raises the question of getting rid of RCS. For FTP-only accounts, it
> causes trouble. IPEs download everything at once to their home machine,
> including RCS directories, and then upload everything back, so we end up
> with directories like
> /csuite/info/blah/blah/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/index.html,v,v,v,v,v,v and
> missing/broken files.
>
> It's overkill for the task we want it to accomplish (locking).

FTP can actually manage this for a group. IP Editors don't need RCS if they each
download and maintain only the files they will edit and upload. For example, I
recommend the Editor who will be updating e.g. minutes download only the
minutes.html file and upload it again after editing. If only the Secretary will
ever edit minutes, and he only edits that file, he can keep the master on his
own machine to edit and periodically upload.

If one editor overwrites another's work, it is no big deal. Barbra can call
Alice, "Did you just upload schedule.html? I had just uploaded a better version,
but now it has changed. No worry, I'll just upload mine again." In about 30
seconds it is done.

FTP doesn't in any way need RCS as long as editors have no intention to ever
edit on-line. Our problems stem from trying to get the two to work together. FTP
is never any problem in a non-RCS directory, like a user's personal directory.

Rather than tampering with RCS (perhaps making it break) would it not be
possible to simply create a non-RCS directory for IPs who will:
o strictly use an FTP client for uploading files
o always maintain the master files on their own computer(s)
o never do any on-line editing.

I suspect this would cover almost all recent IPs.

Just some ideas...

Bob Adams