IPs/Membership/etc.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:32:35 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Mark Rushton wrote:

> I'm interested in following something which (I think Michael?) suggested
> earlier; that there could easily be a separation of Chebucto Plus!
> membership and regular membership.  Does this not open the technical door
> for IP-only memberships (i.e. not tied to a CCN individual membership),
> where dialup access, FTP-site maintenance and mailing list features can be
> tied to an institutional membership concept?

We can create an IP ftp-only account next to regular user accounts in an
IP group. I argued against it at one point, I don't remember why, maybe
I'll remember sometime soon ;)

This raises the question of getting rid of RCS. For FTP-only accounts, it
causes trouble. IPEs download everything at once to their home machine,
including RCS directories, and then upload everything back, so we end up
with directories like
/csuite/info/blah/blah/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/RCS/index.html,v,v,v,v,v,v and
missing/broken files.

It's overkill for the task we want it to accomplish (locking). For
FTP-only IPs with multiple editors, one editor will download everything
and only upload one file, leaving the rest locked against the other
editors. For online editors, the worst that will happen is that two
editors will make edit the same document at the same time, and only one
set of changes will make it in.

Michael