IP Fees - the final chapter

From: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
Cc: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:31:40 -0300

The schedule applies to all who declare themselves as 'information providers'
in contrast to individual or family accounts.  Typically IPs are institutional
members, but, there could be cases where enthusiastic individuals may create
and maintain extensive pages. In such instances, individuals should be provided
with relevant basic services.  The appropriate user agreement would apply.

Consider the example of a sole-proprietorship. It is an organization recognized
by the Provincial government, but has only one person in the organization.  It
could be non-profit, or commercial.

VDN and PPP are services offered to all members. While our focus has been on
IP's, individuals/families may also wish to purchase these services.

In a nut-shell, membership category indicates the user agreement required to be
completed, and the level of basic service provided.  Suggested member dues also
reflect CCN's expectations from the applicant (more basic services, higher
suggested dues).

At the moment we do not differentiate between non-profit or commercial
organizations.  As pointed out in the discussion on fees, our orientation
should be to community rather than business.  Therefore, our preferred members
are non-profits -  particularly those who are/will be active participants.
However, we also do not turn prospects away.

So, to answer your question directly - a for-profit organization could apply
for membership. They could pay the suggested $50, or nothing.  Fees would only
be applied for services beyond the basic services.

In another thread (IP Merge) the discussion considered the blending of
individual and institutional membership.  This was a blending of the
registration process only, and could be the method by which types of membership
are rationalized.

For example, a business-class category could be added.  While the basic member
agreement would be required by all, institutional and business organizations
would be presented with additional clauses. If such a process is implemented,
then the appropriate clauses (and fees) could be developed for for-profit orgs.

The discussion is still open and your ideas, comments and suggestions are
welcomed.

Doug McCann
Chair, IP Committee

Quoting Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>:

> I have one remaining question (as per my last communique to the Board & IP
> Committee): namely, who does this fee and service schedule apply to?
> Everyone (i.e both non-commercial and commercial IPs)? Are we making any
> distinction or differentiation?
>
> In other words is a for-profit buisness eligible for membership and a
> virtual domain name at these rates? Can such an organization come in at
> the basic rate ($50/year; suggested) or can they only start at the VDN
> level ($100/year; + Basic or PPP service)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/ (in development)