IP Fees - the final chapter

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:03:15 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 aa935@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> For your information, attached is a document outlining the philosophy regarding
> the fee structure.  Your comments or suggestions are welcomed.
>   http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa935/final.htm

A couple of technical questions (so we can start implementing these
sometime soon):

If Basic IP Membership is $50/yr, does that mean VDN hosting is really
$100 + $50 = $150?

Is PPP service really an IP service? Right now it's just a service offered
to sustaining members. A PPP account doesn't necessarily have to be
associated with a user account (we can name it after an IP group) but it
would make it easier. I'm not sure how this applies wrt group usage of the
PPP account.

VDN for $100/yr sounds good. At the moment it takes roughly five to ten
minutes of techteam time to set up a site (plus about two minutes in
Victoria). If we put in the effort needed to automate it, we could likely
bring that down to 30 seconds (go to IP admin page, check "VDN", type in
domain.ns.ca, hit "Submit") and the techteam wouldn't be manually
involved.

Additional email accounts for $50/yr doesn't sound good, unless we're
assigning them a ton of quota. I remember looking at NSTN's prices over
five years ago and thinking an one-time fee of $50 for a custom name was
unreasonable. Today I think the going rate is somewhere between
$0.99-$5/yr.

Supporting multiple email accounts will likely mean either rewriting the
family membership functionality to support adding a user to a membership
after the initial payment date (this needs to be done anyway), and
registering the new email account as a new user with membership paid for
by IPE1, or using a separate database of secondary email accounts. The
latter will probably be best since it eliminates the need to register a
name, address, phone number etc. for each account. If we give all
secondary email accounts the same numerical unix UID as the primary
account, they can share their filespace (mail quota).

Michael