Sue's Rant, Pt. 4 Re: CCN future, direction, objectives

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 01:18:30 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Susan Newhook <suenew@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-comm@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Susan Newhook wrote:

> So, if Priority One is to get people without licenses OR cars on that
> metaphorical highway....
>   --how do we define  "increase access?"
>   Should we be a "starter service," i.e.  worry less about the people who
> leave us for commercial ISP's and concern ourselves mainly w/ neophytes?
>   Should we start brokering modems and 286's?

	The starter service is an important part of our current services
but over time this will fade in priority as the pool of uninitiated is a
finite one.

	We can emphasize advantages we have over the other ISPs such as
the speed of text access and the fact that you can put the software needed
to access us on a floppy disk and carry it around with you.

>   --Suggestions re communications aspect of this??
>   --if this is a priority, what priority is publicizing PPP?

	It should be higher than it is. We are slowly adding users to our
PPP service and the rate of this is pretty much fixed by our current
circumstances but it doesn't hurt to let people know it is here. One
Florida community net I was looking at charges $180 US/year for what we
are offering for $100 Cdn/year and this is definitely a hot selling point
for when we can amp up our implementation.

>   --should we focus on libraries?

	We should definitely remember they're there; that was how I found
CCN and so do many more - there is a library sub-community with members
that recognize each other.

>   --on users rather than paying members?

	We should communicate more with users. It doesn't have to be
hassling mail for money, but something to let them know we know they are
there.

>   --on $20 instead of $50+ members?

	There are more of them....

>   --should we provide PPP at some or all PATs, serving to increase the
> profile of Chebucto annnd Chebucto Plus?

	Who would pay for this? Which PATs? It probably wouldn't make a
difference or could as easily backfire.

					Andrew