Sue's Rant, Pt. 4 Re: CCN future, direction, objectives

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:38:23 -0400 (AST)
From: Susan Newhook <suenew@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-comm@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Finally! The last part!

> > (Mark Rushton 13-2-99)
> >What is CCN's Action Plan?
>
>(Peter Morgan 14-2-99)
> 1. Increase access for individuals focusing particularly on those
> individuals who would not otherwise have access to the Internet.

So, if Priority One is to get people without licenses OR cars on that
metaphorical highway....
  --how do we define  "increase access?"
  Should we be a "starter service," i.e.  worry less about the people who
leave us for commercial ISP's and concern ourselves mainly w/ neophytes?
  Should we start brokering modems and 286's?

  --Suggestions re communications aspect of this??
  --if this is a priority, what priority is publicizing PPP?
  --should we focus on libraries?
  --on users rather than paying members?
  --on $20 instead of $50+ members?
  --should we provide PPP at some or all PATs, serving to increase the
profile of Chebucto annnd Chebucto Plus?

> 2. Increase access and information providing capabilities for organizations
> focusing particularly on those organizations who would not otherwise have
> access to the Internet.

Plan B: Get more IPs and give them better--but still cheaper--cars.
Support and upgrade existing IP sites.
  --What program/s can communications promote re: this?
  --What role does PPP play?

> 3. Sustain the organization through a variety of activities including
> volunteer development, fundraising, grant applications etc etc.

Plan C: oh right. Fundraising is under communications, too. And so is the
CCN website content.

Suggestions?

Will someone pass the rum, please?

..and the little pink pills?