multi-lingual complexity

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:04:42 -0400
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi everyone,

Chris wrote:

>...the whole multilingual and alternative character set
>on the Internet is a somewhat thorny and complicated one.

Yup.  This is something I've run into before - and I think its rather
important.  For example, this fall I've been helping a professor from India
learn to use the 'Net.  I've set up his Mac at home, using Netscape, in
such a way that it can -almost- read Gudjarat script and thereby view
newspapers on-line in the proper language.  Problem: the script appears
correctly, but it's just a re-translation of the english characters (in
english sequence) and therefore makes no sense at all.

There has been sufficient concern expressed by countries where English is
not the first language about the dominance of English on-line.  I'm
surprised the makers of browsers haven't yet brought out a version that is
multi-lingual with a minimum of configuration by the user.  When we talk of
access, this aspect is often forgotten.

As for the Lynx multi-lingual capability - Yes, I should have known - If I
bring it up, I'll have to move to find a resolution.  Sigh.  SO many things
to do...

ciao,
Mark.