[NatureNS] "Top court rules Nova Scotia broke endangered species

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 10:53:17 -0300

--------------9F1E13824608BB24386AC17D

Hi John & All,

     Was to proposed quarry on the North or South Mountain ? One
advantage of basalt quarries is that no blasting is needed.

YT, DW

On 6/1/2020 9:21 AM, John Kearney wrote:

> This decision may be a pyrrhic victory as our forests, agricultural
> land, and wetlands continue to be pillaged by industry and
> recreational activities. We will see if a recovery plan written on
> paper will have any effect on saving wildlife. Despite having a Canada
> Warbler recovery team in place, the provincial government recently
> approved the expansion of a quarry in Annapolis County right up to the
> boundary of a wetland with nesting Canada Warblers. In this case, the
> project may not destroy their nests, but what kind of breeding success
> can we expect when it takes place so close to dynamite blasting.

  <head>
  </head>
      advantage of basalt quarries is that no blasting is needed.</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000c01d6380f$2da9b590$88fd20b0$@gmail.com">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
            style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">This
            decision may be a pyrrhic victory as our forests,
            agricultural land, and wetlands continue to be pillaged by
            industry and recreational activities. We will see if a
            recovery plan written on paper will have any effect on
            saving wildlife. Despite having a Canada Warbler recovery
            team in place, the provincial government recently approved
            the expansion of a quarry in Annapolis County right up to
            the boundary of a wetland with nesting Canada Warblers. In
            this case, the project may not destroy their nests, but what
            kind of breeding success can we expect when it takes place
            so close to dynamite blasting.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
                lang="EN-US"> naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca <b>On
                  Behalf Of </b>Peter Payzant<br>
                <b>Subject:</b> [NatureNS] "Top court rules Nova Scotia
                broke endangered species law"<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          Chronicle Herald this morning:<br>
          "A Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge has identified “long-term,
          systemic failures” by the provincial government to fulfill its
          legal obligations to protect vulnerable and endangered
          species. <br>