[NatureNS] Cluster Flies inside

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 20:18:32 -0400

On 4/18/2020 6:22 PM, David Webster wrote:

>      Neither Cluster Flies nor Asian Lady Beetles contribute to Climate
> Change and that, if not taken seriously, will wipe out everything. I
> suspect Cluster Flies are good pollinators of early flowering plants.
> And when they die their bodies likely sustain some organisms.

* I was going to remark on Cluster Flies as biocontrol agents of
invasive alien Earthworms. It's very interesting how some folks freak
out when any Insect - Cluster Flies, Box Elder Bugs, Ladybirds, or
Polistes wasps - want to share their house for the winter. I was once
present when a clustered cabin was warmed up for the first time in a
winter, and the Cluster Flies buzzed out about 3 metres, and then fell
onto the snow where they fed quite an assembly of Chickadees and other
birds.

>  Some decades ago (about 1970 ?) we were overrun by Earwigs and they
> are inclined to climb. Open a door and a shower of earwigs would fall.
> So I looked into the feasibility of control by shocking.
>  A liquid had seeped from many joints and they proceeded to
> carefully clean all of this away, by moistening a tarsus with mouth
> parts and then wiping down all joints in legs and antennae. So I
> scrapped that project because I realized that in many ways they
> resembled humans and should not be tortured.

* Earwig (english substantive for Forficula auricularia): an omnipresent
reminder that humanity is not acclaimed as the dominant species on the
globe, a conclusion recorded in the Earwig’s neatly folded dorsal
Scriptures and revealed by its inscrutable appearance wherever it is not
wanted. "The earwig can, at the end of its ‘earthly course’ rise up to
kinship with God and eternal life." Friedrich Nietzsche, 1881, Daybreak:
Thoughts on the Prejudices of Morality, p 47.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Wildlife on Roads' -
http://doingnaturalhistory.blogspot.ca/2018/03/upcoming-book-wildlife-on-roads-handbook.html
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html