[NatureNS] Asian Ladybirds inside

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 19:22:32 -0300

Hi Fred and all,

     I have a memory of wild things which spans 80 years and, by a very
wide margin (say 99.9%), the most destructive force in the natural world
has been human activity. Other species simply rearrange the wreckage. So
I am inclined to live and let live.

     Neither Cluster Flies nor Asian Lady Beetles contribute to Climate
Change and that, if not taken seriously, will wipe out everything. I
suspect Cluster Flies are good pollinators of early flowering plants.
And when they die their bodies likely sustain some organisms.

     Some decades ago (about 1970 ?) we were overrun by Earwigs and they
are inclined to climb. Open a door and a shower of earwigs would fall.
So I looked into the feasibility of control by shocking. The Electronics
guy saved any coils, transformers etc. which were functional so I asked
him for the loan of a variable voltage unit and built a small ramp so
designed that when they walked up this ramp, beyond a certain point,
their left feet would be at a different potential than their right.
Beyond a certain voltage difference there would be tiny sparks as they
raised or lowered each foot. But what impressed me most was their
behavior after their ordeal. By the time two had walked the ramp I had
decided to quit.

     A liquid had seeped from many joints and they proceeded to
carefully clean all of this away, by moistening a tarsus with mouth
parts and then wiping down all joints in legs and antennae. So I
scrapped that project because I realized that in many ways they
resembled humans and should not be tortured.

     There are all kinds of bug zappers and the like on the market and
they all contribute to death of the natural  world. It is a slow way to
kill Snipe, Nighthawks and likely Bats; but very effective.

     So the story goes, someone went to a bat cave in Europe and,
without cleaning his shoes, flew to NA and went to a bat cave with
European bat shit on his shoes. Sure. And with regard to the origin of
Homo sapiens I once saw a man emerge from a cellar.

     Container ships cross the Atlantic frequently and, once bats get to
sleep they are very difficult to wake up (I tried once). I expect bats
cross the Atlantic on a regular basis and white nose got established
here because our bats were weakened by low insect populations.

Yt, DW, Kentville