[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 08:50:08 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

                &lt;span&gt
--00000000000052ad01059e606a23

Over the years I have seen a number of GHOW nests in Kings Co, and in
almost every case they have been in small wooded areas close to rural
roads, farms or subdivisions. Of course there may well be sampling bias!

Richard Stern
sternrichard@gmail.com
(Sent from my Android device)

On Wed., Feb. 12, 2020, 8:11 a.m. Donna Crossland, <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> In both cases, you might call them 'urban owls'?  Or certainly in more
> open places than a 'forested environment'?
> On 2020-02-11 10:28 p.m., Richard Stern wrote:
>
> We have been hearing them both at the cottage in Avonport and at home near
> Kentville. In both cases is hard to know whether there is 1 bird moving
> around and calling or 2 birds. I think it's the former. In both places we,
> or others have heard or seen them on and off over the last few years.  In
> 2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the night of the Wolfville CBC
> but we couldn't make it a hat trick.
>

> Richard Stern
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> (Sent from my Android device)
>

> On Tue., Feb. 11, 2020, 9:12 p.m. Donna Crossland, <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> It would be fun to form some sort of auditory census for Great-horned owl
>> nesting pairs right about now.  It's interesting to learn of just where
>> they are nesting and whether they are increasing/decreasing.  The nocturnal
>> owl survey takes care of this to some extent, but it would be interesting
>> to learn more of their whereabouts, particularly close to towns, etc.
>>

>> Here's hoping that this 2nd apparently 'open winter' (I know that March
>> can still surprise us) does not negatively affect Barred owl populations.
>> Bernard Forsythe's report of last year's uncommonly low (nonexistent?)
>> success rate for nesting Barred owls leaves us hoping this winter will be
>> more productive.
>>

>> The yellow-breasted chat must be regretting its choices by now?
>>

>> Donna Crossland
>>
>> Tupperville
>>

>> On 2020-02-11 10:25 a.m., James Hirtle wrote:
>>
>> When I got out of work on Feb. 16 at 23:00 there was a great horned owl
>> calling.  It sounded like it was somewhere in the vicinity of Woodland
>> Gardens.  I was on Dufferin Street up over the hill from there.
>>
>> The yellow-breasted chat continues at Barbara McLeans in Lunenburg and a
>> pine warbler has returned after quite an absence.
>>
>> James R. Hirtle
>> LaHave

--00000000000052ad01059e606a23

 Kings Co, and in almost every case they have been in small wooded areas cl=
ose to rural roads, farms or subdivisions. Of course there may well be samp=
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., Feb. 12, =
2020, 8:11 a.m. Donna Crossland, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dcrossland@eastlink.=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
rtainly in
      more open places than a &#39;forested environment&#39;?<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        Avonport and at home near Kentville. In both cases is hard to
        know whether there is 1 bird moving around and calling or 2
        birds. I think it&#39;s the former. In both places we, or others
        have heard or seen them on and off over the last few years.=C2=A0 I=
        2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the night of the
        Wolfville CBC but we couldn&#39;t make it a hat trick.<br>
          Richard Stern<br>
=3D"noreferrer">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>
          (Sent from my Android device)<br>
          =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 </div>
          p.m. Donna Crossland, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dcrossland@eastlink.c=
a" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">dcrossland@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              Great-horned owl nesting pairs right about now.=C2=A0 It&#39;=
              interesting to learn of just where they are nesting and
              whether they are increasing/decreasing.=C2=A0 The nocturnal o=
wl
              survey takes care of this to some extent, but it would be
              interesting to learn more of their whereabouts,
              particularly close to towns, etc.=C2=A0 <br>
#39; (I
              know that March can still surprise us) does not negatively
              affect Barred owl populations.=C2=A0 Bernard Forsythe&#39;s r=
eport
              of last year&#39;s uncommonly low (nonexistent?) success rate
              for nesting Barred owls leaves us hoping this winter will
              be more productive.<br>
              by now?</p>
            <