[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 08:02:13 -0400

        &lt;span&gt;The yellow-breasted chat continues at Barbara
--------------5F8F43379B8D7249EFC883E6

In both cases, you might call them 'urban owls'?  Or certainly in more
open places than a 'forested environment'?

On 2020-02-11 10:28 p.m., Richard Stern wrote:
> We have been hearing them both at the cottage in Avonport and at home
> near Kentville. In both cases is hard to know whether there is 1 bird
> moving around and calling or 2 birds. I think it's the former. In both
> places we, or others have heard or seen them on and off over the last
> few years.  In 2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the night
> of the Wolfville CBC but we couldn't make it a hat trick.
>

> Richard Stern
> sternrichard@gmail.com <mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com>
> (Sent from my Android device)
>

> On Tue., Feb. 11, 2020, 9:12 p.m. Donna Crossland,
> <dcrossland@eastlink.ca <mailto:dcrossland@eastlink.ca>> wrote:
>
>     It would be fun to form some sort of auditory census for
>     Great-horned owl nesting pairs right about now.  It's interesting
>     to learn of just where they are nesting and whether they are
>     increasing/decreasing.  The nocturnal owl survey takes care of
>     this to some extent, but it would be interesting to learn more of
>     their whereabouts, particularly close to towns, etc.
>

>     Here's hoping that this 2nd apparently 'open winter' (I know that
>     March can still surprise us) does not negatively affect Barred owl
>     populations.  Bernard Forsythe's report of last year's uncommonly
>     low (nonexistent?) success rate for nesting Barred owls leaves us
>     hoping this winter will be more productive.
>

>     The yellow-breasted chat must be regretting its choices by now?
>

>     Donna Crossland
>
>     Tupperville
>

>     On 2020-02-11 10:25 a.m., James Hirtle wrote:
>>     When I got out of work on Feb. 16 at 23:00 there was a great
>>     horned owl calling.  It sounded like it was somewhere in the
>>     vicinity of Woodland Gardens.  I was on Dufferin Street up over
>>     the hill from there.
>>
>>     The yellow-breasted chat continues at Barbara McLeans in
>>     Lunenburg and a pine warbler has returned after quite an absence.
>>
>>     James R. Hirtle
>>     LaHave

--------------5F8F43379B8D7249EFC883E6

  <head>
  </head>
      more open places than a 'forested environment'?<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAAwXBYed3qUnm+A2G6mNcbxKhOvMDg-vgKJL5pzyEhCmCLjv3A@mail.gmail.com">
        Avonport and at home near Kentville. In both cases is hard to
        know whether there is 1 bird moving around and calling or 2
        birds. I think it's the former. In both places we, or others
        have heard or seen them on and off over the last few years.  In
        2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the night of the
        Wolfville CBC but we couldn't make it a hat trick.<br>
          Richard Stern<br>
          sternrichard@gmail.com<br>
          (Sent from my Android device)<br>
          p.m. Donna Crossland, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:dcrossland@eastlink.ca" moz-do-not-send="true">dcrossland@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              Great-horned owl nesting pairs right about now.  It's
              interesting to learn of just where they are nesting and
              whether they are increasing/decreasing.  The nocturnal owl
              survey takes care of this to some extent, but it would be
              interesting to learn more of their whereabouts,
              particularly close to towns, etc.  <br>
              know that March can still surprise us) does not negatively
              affect Barred owl populations.  Bernard Forsythe's report
              of last year's uncommonly low (nonexistent?) success rate
              for nesting Barred owls leaves us hoping this winter will
              be more productive.<br>
              by now?</p>
style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:24pt">
                  was a great horned owl calling.  It sounded like it
                  was somewhere in the vicinity of Woodland Gardens.  I
                  was on Dufferin Street up over the hill from there.  </span></div>