[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose & Robins

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 11:31:28 -0300

--------------A035F5CC2F1CBD919A4ADA0F

Hi Dave S and All,

     I am not sure but I suspect flowering would depend more on
condition and size of the root system than on top growth age and guess
flowering possible by second year; guess only.

     A well established plant has a wealth of reserves in the root
system so only sustained hacking will kill it. With this in mind it is
more effective to cut shoots 4-5 buds above ground so new shoot growth
will deplete root reserves and then brush these off before shoot
extension slows, indicating possible export to the root. I suggest you
keep an eye open for the thornless strain and keep these. They have tiny
thorns only which are usually shed early in growth; quite unlike the
large vicious thorns of some strains. If you do not have any thornless
strain you could probably locate some nearby and get rooted plants in a
month or so by layering new growth.

Dave W. Kentville

     Based on memory, it has taken more than four years to kill one
thorned rose which did not have much competition; it still keeps
producing shoots which I brush off as needed.

On 4/10/2019 10:26 AM, David Simpson wrote:
> Does mf rose flower on first year growth? I've been hacking away at
> the perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot. Lots of mf rose on the periphery,
> enough to produce 55gallons+ of charcoal and still have lots standing
> for birds, which many species clearly adore. Wondering how
> aggressively I can attack it with an eye to leaving enough for habitat
> benefits.
>
> Dave in Currys Corner
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 9:59 AM David Webster, <dwebster@glinx.com
> <mailto:dwebster@glinx.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear All,
>
>          With snow cover limiting feeding choices since the snow Monday
>     night, Robins have nearly stripped the nearby  Multiflora Roses
>     yesterday and this morning.
>
>     Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

--------------A035F5CC2F1CBD919A4ADA0F

  <head>
  </head>
      condition and size of the root system than on top growth age and
      guess flowering possible by second year; guess only.</p>
      system so only sustained hacking will kill it. With this in mind
      it is more effective to cut shoots 4-5 buds above ground so new
      shoot growth will deplete root reserves and then brush these off
      before shoot extension slows, indicating possible export to the
      root. I suggest you keep an eye open for the thornless strain and
      keep these. They have tiny thorns only which are usually shed
      early in growth; quite unlike the large vicious thorns of some
      strains. If you do not have any thornless strain you could
      probably locate some nearby and get rooted plants in a month or so
      by layering new growth.</p>
      one thorned rose which did not have much competition; it still
      keeps producing shoots which I brush off as needed.</p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CA+vj=THC5a_uU7zhnEVtSN7_wOqTF0-NFOL+_5VGVv9CXdV5Ow@mail.gmail.com">
        been hacking away at the perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot. Lots of
        mf rose on the periphery, enough to produce 55gallons+ of
        charcoal and still have lots standing for birds, which many
        species clearly adore. Wondering how aggressively I can attack
        it with an eye to leaving enough for habitat benefits.
            href="mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" moz-do-not-send="true">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dear All,<br>
               With snow cover limiting feeding choices since the snow
          Monday <br>
          night, Robins have nearly stripped the nearby  Multiflora
          Roses <br>
          yesterday and this morning.<br>
          Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>

--------------A035F5CC2F1CBD919A4ADA0F--