[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose & Robins

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 11:02:13 -0300

Hi Burkhard and All,

     I suspect feeding is often conditioned by availability of
alternative foods and experience. To the human palate some wild plants
range from delicious to yuk. Deer often wander through the yard but
noticeable feeding is limited to Aster cordifolius and Tulips. As you
say, Japanese Barberry fruit persist so are likely a last resort. I
recall, many decades ago, watching a cock Pheasant eating the fruit. The
fruit of some Viburnun trilobum/opulus shrubs hangs on all winter so
evidently is not choice fare.

Dave