[NatureNS] Public consultation re use of pesticide... GMO crops and loss of weedy species

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=24.224.157.232; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:06:40 -0400

        As naturalists, impac
Hi Doug & All,
    I don't have time to dig out the statistics now but from the post war
period on, when pesticides came into use (and in some cases over use), life
expectancy in Canada continued to climb. Obesity was not a problem in the
dirty thirties when the average person was dirt poor, cold and hungry.

    Many factors affect health these days; air tight houses, combined with
low humidity, cause many health problems I think. Our new (in 1981) swanky
lab had humidity as low as 13% (compared to the optimal 60%)... a cause of
constant headache, kidney pains (cold dry air shot down on occupants)...
Carpets, composition furniture, plastics... release many irritating vapors.

    By chance, a few weeks ago, I ran into a former farm employee; 96 years
young, still spry and driving. His job in season was to apply orchard sprays
either with a hand held high volume nozzle or a low volume mister. His
personal protection consisted of coveralls (perhaps washed once a year), a
pith helmet and, in windy conditions, goggles.

    Even in heavily sprayed food the pesticide content is virtually nil.

    And last but not least Doug, ill health was often a fact of life long
before pesticides.
Yt, DW, Kentville