[NatureNS] Protected areas; ATV use-some thoughts for moose and trout

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:00:32 -0400

ne through the Val

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D156AF.97637C00

Hi All,

The following link leads to an aerial photo of a coastal bog in Nova =
Scotia and shows the ATV trails running through it. This bog hosts a =
nesting colony of Willets, a species classified as =E2=80=9CMay be at =
Risk=E2=80=9D by the Province of Nova Scotia. It is a stop-over area for =
Whimbrels in the autumn (classified as =E2=80=9CSensitive). It also =
provides habitat for nesting Swamp and Lincoln=E2=80=99s Sparrows. While =
the ATVs may not threaten the nests per se, risk of disturbance of =
nesting birds and those in stop-over may well be significant. It =
illustrates why the Province needs to do more to protect sensitive =
species, species at risk, and their habitats. Here is the link: =
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92521211@N05/24503359461/in/dateposted-publ=
ic/.

John

=20