[NatureNS] storm birds, Downtown Dartmouth

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 21:19:36 +0000

Over in Armdale, Halifax, about 2 PM we had about 20 Bohemian Waxwings stripping the remaining tiny shrunken fruit off a small ornamental crabapple to the south of the house.  About 10 min later I noticed something light blowing across the lawn on the north side -- feathers -- and traced it to a hawk partly hidden on the ground under a small pine, stripping a waxwing that it had caught.  We got the binocs on it for a few minutes before it spooked and flew off carrying the remains, and estimated the hawk was ~12 inches long, light grey above, and a white breast spotted with many small dark spots/streaks.   From Sibley, the dark spots on white don't match an adult and would seem to fit only a fairly large immature sharpie, or a small immature Coopers, much less likely.
Mostly, apart from the regulars like downies, song sparrows, a blue jay and chickadees, we have been inundated by several dozen rapacious starlings, and 7 or more mallards foraging right up by the houses (we live near a lake).
Looks like about 2 feet of snow here on average overnight, ignoring the drifts.
Steve