[NatureNS] Avon River causeway

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 23:46:09 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

           &lt;p class="MsoNormal"&gt;&amp;#160;&amp;#160; Another abandoned and dismantled hydro dam in N.S. that comes to mind is at The Falls on Waughs River. The site now has a new fish ladder. The falls are spectacular, especially at high water! &lt;span style="text-decora
"salt marsh on the east/seaward side...desirable habitat that if the
causeway was removed might wash away"

But it might also reduce erosion on/restore Evangeline Beach...

Coastlines (and rivers) are naturally dynamic; we mess them up when we
put fixed structures on them and then "protect" those structures from
erosion.

Quoting Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>:

   About the Avon River causeway in Windsor: Yes, it completely
changed thedynamics of tidal flow in the Avon River estuary. The net
effect was a reduction in flows, hence less turbuence and more silt
deposition.
   Something very similar happened in Moncton. Construction of the
Petitcodiac Causeway  caused a reduction in the height of the tidal
bores, and narrowing of the river channel downstream of the causeway.
The causeway is still there, but is now permanently open. The
anadromous fish are happy, I am sure, riverside property owners
upstream of the causeway less so. Now their lands border a tidal
marsh, and no longer a freshwater reservoir...
   Dusan Soudek
On July 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM james simpson  wrote:

> The Halfway River in Hantsport has two dams owned by Minas Basin
P&P
> and an abateau that pretty much block everything.  I spoke to a
DFO
> [...]
> with Atlantic Salmon spawn from the Gaspereau River as the
> watersheds were very similar geologically etc.  Some work was done
> on one of the dams to build a ladder but it seems to have ground to
> a halt.
>
>  Also re the Avon River...It's interesting that the causeway, while
> an obvious impediment, seems to have had the serendipitous effect
of
> creating a significant (~100 hectares) salt marsh on the
> east/seaward side.  Which I think is desirable habitat that if the
> causeway was removed might wash away.Š>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM, John and Nhung  wrote:
>
> Down our end of the province, where the pickerel and smallmouth
> black bass roam, some of these dams are desirable barriers to keep
> these unwanted monsters away from  native stocks.
>

> FROM: naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
> [mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca] ON BEHALF OF Dusan Soudek
> SENT: July-18-13 4:12 PM
> TO: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>
> SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from
> Penobscot River
>

> Paul,
>

>    yes, I stand --partially-- corrected. The dam and the
> associated powerhouse on the Mushamush were abandoned by NSP due to
> the projected expense of repairs to it. But the structure was
> eventually removed for environmental reasons.
>

>    Another abandoned and dismantled hydro dam in N.S. that comes
> to mind is at The Falls on Waughs River. The site now has a new
fish
> ladder. The falls are spectacular, especially at high water!
>

>    Dusan SoudekŠ>
> On July 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Paul MacDonald  wrote:
>
> Hi Dusan
>

> I don't know about the others but the one on the Mushamush
>

> was for environmental reasons. If it was up to NS Power
>

> they would have left it to rot away! I had some first hand
> knowledge
>

> of how that worked!
>

> Enjoy the summer
>

> Paul
>

> FROM: Dusan Soudek
> TO: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> SENT: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:45:37 PM
> SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from
> Penobscot River
>

>    A number of smaller hydro dams in Nova Scotia have been
> decommissioned over the last few decades. They include ones on
> Liscomb River (Powerhouse Falls), East River (near the community of
> East River), Mushamush River (Clearland), Medway River (Salter
> Falls), Barrington River, and elsewhere. But all of these closures
> took rplace because of economic reasons, not environmental ones...

>    Dusan SoudekŠ>
> On July 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM james simpson  wrote:
>
> You may have seen this re opening of the Penobscot to the sea for
> the first time in almost 200 years.  The benefits to river ecology
> are pretty profound.
>
> Any initiatives or opportunities for this kind of remediation in

David Patriquin
http://versicolor.ca