[NatureNS] Leach's Storm Petrels (10) -Big I. July 16

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:44:48 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_jI0mcvfpI19ugHm7caQ5og)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Charlie Kendell and I birded Big I., Pict. Co. July 16. It was cool and windy on arrival at 7 a.m. and immediately we saw a few srorm petrels along the causeway beach. We managed to photo a few and all appeared to be Leach's Storm Petrel about 9 there and 1 along the sandspit at west end of island. Water levels were high even for low tide and there were not many wader bars present even at low tide. However, a Harrier passing over the big salt marsh put up a 55 or so Lesser Yellowlegs.
The shorebird variey was slim with 16 Willet, 5 Semipalmated Plover and 62 Lesser Yelowlegs.  A few peeps flushed with the yellowlegs, but were too far away to ID.
We discovered a fresh overnbird? out of the nest, a Cedar Waxwing tight on a nest along a trail that will get busy with warmer temps, a dead adult Gannet on the main causeway beach. There were just over a dozen Bonaparte's Gulls - 2 with full dark hoods.   It was a nice birding day as the cool temperature and showers throught the day kept bird activity active. It did warm up enough for us to photo 4 types of butterfly. We tallied 52 bird species for the island.
cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_jI0mcvfpI19ugHm7caQ5og)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19088">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Charlie Kendell and I birded Big I., Pict. Co. July
16. It was cool and windy on arrival at 7 a.m. and immediately we saw a few
srorm petrels along the causeway beach. We managed to photo a few and all
appeared to be <STRONG>Leach's Storm Petrel</STRONG> about 9 there and 1 along
the sandspit at west end of island. Water levels were high even for low tide and
there were not many wader bars present even at low tide. However, a Harrier
passing over the big salt marsh put up a 55 or so Lesser Yellowlegs.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The shorebird variey was slim with 16
<STRONG>Willet</STRONG>, 5 <STRONG>Semipalmated Plover</STRONG> and <STRONG>62
Lesser Yelowlegs</STRONG>.&nbsp; A few peeps flushed with the yellowlegs, but
were too far away to ID. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We discovered a fresh overnbird? out of the nest, a
<STRONG>Cedar Waxwing</STRONG> tight on a nest along a trail that will get busy
with warmer temps, a dead adult Gannet on the main causeway beach. There were
just over a dozen <STRONG>Bonaparte's Gulls</STRONG> - 2 with full dark hoods.
&nbsp;&nbsp;It was a nice birding day as the cool temperature and showers
throught the day kept bird activity active. It did warm up enough for us to
photo 4 types of butterfly. We tallied 52 bird&nbsp;species for the island.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_jI0mcvfpI19ugHm7caQ5og)--