[NatureNS] Re: Cat-caught birds

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-2038886227-1280766264=:49072

I just wanted to comment on your woodcock story. Cats carry a bacterium called
Pasturella in their saliva which is deadly to birds and small mammals. An
infection by this organism can kill a small bird in as little as 24 hours. The
bacterium can be introduced into an animal's body through very small puncture
wounds (caused by the cat's teeth or claws) which are difficult even for experts
to detect. Because of this, any animal which has been caught by a cat, even if
it appears uninjured, should be treated with antibiotics to have a good chance
of survival.

Any wildlife rehabilitation centre should be able to provide this treatment. If
you find a cat-caught bird, or injured wildlife of any sort, you can contact
Hope for Wildlife as was mentioned earlier this weekend (Marilyn, did you manage
to get your squirrel some help?) or you can contact the Cobequid Wildlife
Rehabilitation Centre where I work, at 893-0253.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station