[NatureNS] Birds Various

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 02:07:53 +0000

--_887c5ecf-49a5-4926-ba78-c1619e9c193d_

Psychologists could have a field day watching beach goers.  This morning I =
ran a shorebird survey at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay.  I was a littl=
e later then I wanted to be there=2C and the tide was three quarters up and=
 rising.  One sand flat was uncovered and the inner mudflats were still par=
tially open.  The sand spit was a place where a young common tern and an ad=
ult wanted to settle and rest.  This was too no avail.  For whatever reason=
 a ton of people decided to wade through the water on the beach and every o=
ne of them automatically headed for the exposed sand spit.  Each and every =
one of them were oblivious to the surrounding wildlife.  Each time putting =
up the terns who would circle back.  Eventually the terns just gave up and =
flew off.  All of these waders also made it extremely difficult for me to g=
et an accurate count of the shorebirds that were there as they kept putting=
 them up also.  There were lots of Nelson sharp-tailed sparrows present.

=20

I had a call today about a snow goose that was swimming along towards Baypo=
rt from the end of Feltzen South.  I only got the message about it five hou=
rs later and it could be anywhere by now. =20

=20

David Walmark rescued a juvenile=2C none flying American woodcock from his =
cat this evening.  Surprisingly this bird will not be able to fly for at le=
ast another week.  I went to see it and the bird was uninjured. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

=20
 		 	   		  =

--_887c5ecf-49a5-4926-ba78-c1619e9c193d_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Psychologists could have a field day watching beach goers.&nbsp=3B This mor=
ning I ran a shorebird survey at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay.&nbsp=3B=
 I was a little later then I wanted to be there=2C and the tide was three q=
uarters up and rising.&nbsp=3B One sand flat was uncovered and the inner mu=
dflats were still partially open.&nbsp=3B The sand spit was a place where a=
 young common tern and an adult wanted to settle and rest.&nbsp=3B This was=
 too no avail.&nbsp=3B For whatever reason a ton of people decided to wade =
through the water on the beach and every one of them automatically headed f=
or the exposed sand spit.&nbsp=3B Each and every one of them were oblivious=
 to the surrounding wildlife.&nbsp=3B Each time putting up the terns who wo=
uld circle back.&nbsp=3B Eventually the terns&nbsp=3Bjust gave up and flew =
off.&nbsp=3B All of these waders also made it extremely difficult for me to=
 get an accurate count of the shorebirds that were there as they kept putti=
ng them up also.&nbsp=3B There were lots of Nelson sharp-tailed sparrows pr=
esent.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I had a call today about a snow goose that was swimming along towards Baypo=
rt from the end of Feltzen South.&nbsp=3B I only got the message about it f=
ive hours later and it could be anywhere by now.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
David Walmark rescued a juvenile=2C none flying American woodcock from his =
cat this evening.&nbsp=3B Surprisingly this bird will not be able to fly fo=
r at least another week.&nbsp=3B I went to see it and the bird was uninjure=
d.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_887c5ecf-49a5-4926-ba78-c1619e9c193d_--