[NatureNS] Help with Finding Plants

From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:08:50 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015174c43ce1d05c9048c12c547

I was on a Dal field trip to a bog at Duncans Cove with Pierre Taschereau
about 30 years ago, and he showed us a Dwarf Birch growing on a flat boulder
along the trail. This trail is to the South of Duncans Cove, in behind what
is now the Whalesback house, built on an old WWII observation post. The
trail meanders inland from Whalesback, to a large bog. I haven't been there
in a decade though.

--
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--0015174c43ce1d05c9048c12c547

I was on a Dal field trip to a bog at Duncans Cove with Pierre Taschereau a=
bout 30 years ago, and he showed us a Dwarf Birch growing on a flat boulder=
 along the trail. This trail is to the South of Duncans Cove, in behind wha=
t is now the Whalesback house, built on an old WWII observation post. The t=
rail meanders inland from Whalesback, to a large bog. I haven&#39;t been th=
ere in a decade though.<br>

=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); p=
adding-left: 1ex;">

I have found the Dwarf Birch (<i>B. michauxii</i>) in the core of Cape Bret=
on Highlands National Park...in the Caribou Barrens. I was there in 1996; t=
his summer, I was nearby, and the access is more difficult than in 1996=A0a=
s there are patches of dense woods and lots of blowdown.<div>

n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kristl@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_blank=
_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204,=
 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

There are a few plant species I am particularly trying to locate, if anyone=
 can be<br>
of help.<br>
Aronia arbutifolia<br>
Have searched for this throughout SW Nova Scotia, but only found A.<br>
melanocarpa and plants of hybrid origin (A prunifolia). I followed a lead t=
o<br>
Keji Adjunct last fall---but again, no red-berried Aronias. This continues<=
br>
to elude me.<br>
Sanguisorba canadensis and Viburnum edule:<br>
Has anyone seen these outside of Cape Breton?<br>
Betula michauxii:<br>
Am looking for a specific location aside from Brier Island.<br>
Rhexia virginica and Nymphoides cordata:<br>
A relatively accessible location to enable photographing the plants.<br>
Thank you in advance for any leads,<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Kristl Walek<br>
Annapolis Royal<br>
uth,Nova Scotia, Canada <br><a href=3D"http://www.ideaphore.com">http://www=
.ideaphore.com</a><br>